CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Something borrowed, something blue...

In honor of this first post of the New Year, I shall review something...old.

Le Nozze Di Figaro is my favorite opera. Granted, I don't know a whole lot of opera. I blame this on the fact that my very first experience with opera was a terrible production of La Boheme when I was about 13 years old. It was long, it was dull, it was poorly sung, and it had no supertitles, so I was confused, bored, and lost. I determined then and there that opera was not for me, and it was not until many years later when I started pursuing music seriously as a discipline that I discovered that opera is, in fact, kind of awesome. And very fun to sing.

I have a soft spot in my heart for La Nozze, partly because I am familiar with and really like the French play (and its prequel, The Barber of Seville) from my days as a Theatre Studies major, and partly because I saw a fantastic production of it at Utah Opera, but mostly because the first aria I ever sang, "Deh vieni, non tardar," is from this opera. And also, one of my favorite duets that I have ever performed, "Sull'aria," is also from this opera. So, yeah, I like the Mozart.

My dad picked me up a recording of Le Nozze at a library book sale for a dollar. What a shame that nobody was checking this out (and it doesn't look as if anyone ever has, based on the wear and tear---or lack of it---on the booklet and CDs themselves), and what a shame that it was being practically given away...but what a great find for me! Featuring Dietrich Fischer-Dieskau as the count, Gundula Janowitz as the countess, Edith Mathis as Susanna, and Hermann Prey as Figaro, this recording, made in 1968, sounds just as great today as I'm sure it did then. Everyone's voices are clear and bright, and the music is flawlessly performed by singers and musicians alike.

One of my favorite things about this recording is how everyone performs their chunks of recitative. Sometimes I'm not wild about the way certain arias are performed; I do think "Deh vieni" is a little lacking in energy and "Sull'aria" drags a bit for my taste, and at times, Ms. Janowitz' vibrato sounds a little constricted to me. But every single recitative is incredibly fun to listen to. Everyone sings their lines with such conversational ease. I don't speak Italian. I'm don't have the libretto memorized. Frankly, it's been a while since I've seen or read it, and I can't remember all the finer points of the plot and dialogue (and it's kind of confusing!). But I feel like I can understand what's going on just by the inflection these wonderful performers give their lines. Recitative can make or break an opera, in my opinion. If the singers don't really know what they're saying or aren't really comfortable with the language, it just becomes laborious and dry. But it's clear that every single one of these performers knows exactly what they're saying and how to say it. It's a joy to listen to.

If you think you don't like opera, give this one a chance. I think you might change your mind. And then see what else your library is selling for a dollar...and give me a call so I can clean them out.

1 comments:

Julie said...

Expect that in Deh vieni, most of the time there are too many words/vowel sounds for the number of notes on the pages and it sure makes the Italian a mouthful to sing! :)