CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Friday, May 16, 2008

Enchanting

If ever in your life you've enjoyed a classic Disney animated movie, you need to see Enchanted. This movie manages to poke fun at many Disney/fairytale conventions (talking animals, wicked stepmothers, love at first sight) while telling an original and adorable new story at the same time.

The casting is brilliant. Amy Adams plays Giselle with delightful cartoon innocence. And James Marsden, in addition to being very, very pretty, could not possibly act the role of Prince Charming (sorry---Prince Edward) any more perfectly. Even actors that I personally do not generally care for, like Susan Sarandon and Patrick Dempsey, are wonderful in their roles. The three original songs are also quite entertaining; in particular, the lyrics to "The Happy Working Song" are hilarious, and if the big production surrounding "That's How You Know" doesn't make you smile, well, you might not know how. To smile, that is.

I love how Disney can make fun of itself. I wish the bonus features on the DVD (all actually worthwhile, by the way, excepting the music video easter egg which I actually skipped through as I'm not a Carrie Underwood fan) included something that points out every movie they've referenced. While watching it with my mom tonight, we picked out references to Sleeping Beauty, Cinderella, Snow White, Lady and the Tramp, Beauty and the Beast, and The Little Mermaid. And who knows what we missed.

If this review sounds a little like gushing, it's because it is. This is really a lovely movie. And look, I can't be witty all the time. The pressure!

1 comments:

Jennifer said...

I really liked this movie. All of my young women kept telling me that I remind them of Gisele. The first time I watched it was with one of my young women. She told me in the movie when they are walking though the park and the older men are dancing to the song, that two of them are from West Side Story and one was one of the chimney sweeps form Mary Poppins. Cool huh? Well, I'll see you in a few hours. Yipee! Mmm, cheese dogs. Hum!