CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Thursday, May 29, 2008

I'm not ashamed!

I admit it. When I first felt the urge to buy this album, I was embarrassed. After feverishly searching through the racks at the store to find their lone copy (and being ridiculously excited when I did), I fervently wished for a self-check out station. I felt like I needed to justify my purchase to the clerk.

But no more! I am proud of the fact that I own the soundtrackto Christopher Guest's film A Mighty Wind, and I don't care who knows it!

The eighteen tracks on this disc are all original, excepting "Start Me Up," which is a Rolling Stones song (and, incidentally, the only track that I skip almost every time). I don't know much about the folk music of the '60s, but I'm told that the rest of these songs are near-perfect parodies and homages to such groups as The Kingston Trio and The New Christy Minstrels. At any rate, they're great songs, ranging from one of the best love songs ever ("When You're Next to Me," which, if it's possible, is actually going to wear out on my CD), to the bizarrely historical ("Skeletons of Quinto"), to war protests ("The Ballad of Bobby and June"), and everything in between.

The New Main Street Singers definitely have the most cheesy songs on the album, but even if you don't like their lyrics (the hilarious "Good Book Song" is one of my favorites), you've got to admire their tight harmonies and all around good musical production. The Folksmen are their polar opposites, as evidenced in the two versions of "Never Did No Wanderin'," both of which are enjoyable in different ways. But my favorite group is Mitch and Mickey. I'm only slightly embarrassed to say that were there entire Mitch and Mickey albums available, I'd buy them.

Plus, one of the songs on this disc, Mitch and Mickey's "A Kiss at the End of the Rainbow," was nominated for an Oscar. So, hey, I'm not the only one.

Buy this album. Embrace your inner faux-folk enthusiast!

1 comments:

Jennifer said...

You are the funniest person I know. I love the way you write and tell your review! I've never heard of this soundtrack. I'll have to check it out.