CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Wednesday, July 9, 2008

An oxymoron? No!

For decades it was considered negative to be nerdy. Pocket protectors, taped glasses, pegged pants--these are not images of ourselves we want anyone to see. (Not that I have any. Okay, except for the pegged pants.) But no more! It is indeed possible to be nerdy and beautiful! That is, if you're a CD of choral music.

Anyone who knows me well knows that I am probably the biggest choir nerd on the planet, so it should come as no surprise to you that I have finally included some choral music on this blog. In fact, you're probably more surprised that it took so long. Anyway, I've been listening to Morten Lauridsen's Lux Aeternalately, and I think you should, too.

Lauridsen is a modern composer, but don't let the word "modern" scare you (it usually scares me--echoes of horrible atonal music dance in my ears). He writes incredibly lush, tight harmonies that are an absolute joy to hear. They give me goosebumps. And yes, I'm a nerd. But the music on this CD, particularly the Lux Aeterna set and "O Magnum Mysterium" (my personal favorite), is very, very beautiful.

It's all performed by a professional British choir called Polyphony, and they are very good. Sometimes the tenors go a little crazy, but they're tenors--it's what they do. We can forgive them. And sometimes I feel like they're just singing the notes. They do this very well--they always sound good--but sometimes I wish there was a little more...emotion. A little more ebb and flow in the musical line. This is particularly noticeable to me in "O Nata Lux," part of Lux Aeterna, but I could just be prejudiced because I know and love another recording of that piece.

Anyway, overall this is a very, very good CD and any lover of good music should check it out. Join the nerdy side. It's nice here.

4 comments:

Hand Picked Daisy said...

Hey Kiersten. I loved the long comment. It made me feel so cool. So I just got a labtop for mother's day and there is an actual place in the side that is for and XD memory card. I use that to put all my pictures on. Before that I just used my USB cord. I thought it was so cool that it actually had a place for my memory card but now I just use my USB cord again beause I'm scared to take out my card. I'm still so mad that it happened. UGH! Anyway, hope your doing well. I still haven't figured out, or had the time, to get on my facebook and play around. Soon I'll figure it out and I'll have to share some pictures on there. Are you coming to Jonathan's homecomming? It's July 20 at 9:00 am. I wonder if some computer genius can find out what actually happened to my pictures. Thanks for the advice.

Jess said...

But weren't pegged pants COOL at one point? :)

Kiersten said...

Good point, Jess, except I know I was never cool and I did the pegged pants. I was such a poser. (Hehehee!)

Kay Honaker said...

Come, come, Brits don't emote. They're too stuffy.