CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Monday, April 21, 2008

Curious, indeed.

The subtitle to Mary Roach's non-fiction book Stiff is "The Curious Lives of Human Cadavers." She ain't just whistlin' Dixie. (What does that mean, anyway?)

Not for the squeamish or faint of heart (though I think if you can handle CSI you can handle this), Stiff tells you about all the things your body can do after you die, from your basic anatomy lab cadaver to compost and everything (and I do mean everything) in between. It's not graphic or gory, but I'm sure there are times you'll find yourself going, "Ick."

Interesting, informative, educational...and hilarious. Mary Roach writes with a very dry wit, and many, many times I found myself laughing---and then stopped and thought, "Should I be laughing at that?" And then I started laughing again.

Recommendation: Yeah. It's good.

4 comments:

Jennifer said...

Cool, that sounds like and interesting book. I think I'll read it. I've wondered what happens to the body after it dies. Is that weird?

Jess said...

My only questions is: what prompts someone to write a book about corpses?

Kiersten said...

She asks herself that very same question in the book. :)

Jennifer said...

Tee hee.